Saturday, March 6, 2010

{ in memoriam }

Today I am finding it hard to write, let alone to even think straight... You see, one of my most special friends, Jules, woke up this morning to find her baby son had died in his sleep. Writing about it seems somehow wrong, and yet - also the only thing I can do. My heart pounds with a sick sense of sacrilegious guilt, but also the desire to honour her and her son, Jude, in the only way that I can.

I can only hold her in my thoughts like this - in words, and ask you to add your prayers to mine, because Jules and Simon live in Cape Town. So far away that I cannot drive to her house and tell her I love her, and hold her. So far away that we lost touch over a petty misunderstanding for more than a year, while we were both pregnant and new mommies - a time we should have shared, because we used to chat constantly about it with incredible yearning in our younger years. (Surely it was just yesterday that we met in the corner of the Primi Piatti lounge one late afternoon after work, and when Jules replaced her usual order of red wine with a non-alcoholic beer, she didn't have to explain that special smile on her face...)

It was only a few weeks after that, and Craig asked me to marry him - and then suddenly we were in England - and I was pregnant too. Jules came over to the UK, 6 months' pregnant with precious Jude, to shoot a wedding - and we planned to meet up somehow in the short window of time she was here. But between me and my incessant, debilitating nausea and vomiting, and Jules's mounting frustration with indifferent friends, we misinterpreted each other so tragically, that we stopped contacting each other in our imagined hurt. The thought of travelling via a daunting number of trains from Northampton to London with my new talent for unpredictable emesis was beyond my scope of possibility - but Jules felt she wasn't worth the effort. If only she had known the truth of my heart then. I feel like our emotional separation can partly be blamed on our physical distance apart; were we in Cape Town, this would never have happened. I would simply have phoned her, and she'd have heard the exhaustion in my voice and instinctively, and with her habitual kindness, understood. It was the double misinterpretation of our text messages back and forth that caused this sudden rift in a friendship that had run long and deep and true for so many years...

About 6 weeks ago, she sent me a message on FB, and we've been emailing each other - trying to catch up on each others' journeys inbetween being mommies and artists. Her last email to me expressed how much she loved her son as 'the MOST adorable child under the sun'... And to think I have been 'too busy' to reply to that email... I had so much I wanted to share with her, so many questions to ask her. And now, I can never ask those questions. Ever. I dreamed about Layla and Jude playing in the sand on Blouberg beach together, while Jules and I sat nearby, chatting and skinnering like old times - our eyes saying everything when words fail us.

This is why I am moving home. Home is where your heart has sent down its roots. Into the rich, deep earth that is hearing your friend's car turn into your driveway, jumping to pay for your coffees before she does, wrapping up that perfect book for her birthday you just know she's been drooling over all year but couldn't afford, picking up her little son when he falls because you love him like your own...

(I don't know how many of you noticed the 'PS' to my last blog post where I mentioned Jules and her photography? Before she was married to Simon, she worked as a temp doing random secretarial work -- and photographing things so exquisitely and with such tender clarity, that we all took notice and spurred her on to follow her magnificent talent! It became a figurative and a literal voyage. An exploration, an adventure, a pilgrimage... She travelled through Europe, and then eventually all the way back from London, with Simon in their sturdy and well-equipped Land Cruiser, through Israel, Egypt, Sudan ... all the way to their goal and destination, Cape Town. Her catalogue of photographs from this journey make visual the endless depths of beauty she so effortlessly gives us with her heartfelt, creative vision. We started writing a book together based on this African adventure, but I was 'too busy'. Today's tears cannot wash away how sorry I am, Jules.)

Only four more months to go.

7 comments:

Melanie Charlton said...

Oh! Lees,
What a touching poignant tribute to your friend. You have certainly poured your heart into this and I hope you will let your writing release you from your guilt? I am certain Jules will understand and accept your kind words graciously.
xxxx

Return to Norway said...

Deepest condolences - my thoughts are with all of you in these very sad times. Strength to everybody affected by this tragic loss. xx

Anne Herbert said...

They often say words cannot describe how one feels - but Lisa somehow *you* have managed to say it with words. My heart goes out to you my friend and beyond that to your friend and her family all God's blessings at a time like this. Please do not feel guilt Lisa - friends always understand. Much love - @

The Rooster said...

Hi.Read your article on sagoodnews. I've been fighting against negative alarmist and scaremongering by the media and South African expats for over a year now. My tactics are a little less...er.....gentle.

Check it out at www.shutupwhitey.blogspot.com

Cheers !
Rooster

The Rooster said...

Just read the article. Was too hasty to comment. Condolences. Did not mean to swamp your tragedy with my agenda.

Andrea said...

Hey Lisa, what sad sad news and as a mother of a tiny little boy, my pain for your friend is very real.

I simply cannot begin to imagine what she is going through and know that no words from a stranger can ever bring solace, but let her know she is held in the love of a sisterhood stronger than any other, the sisterhood of mothers and our collective hearts break for her at this time.

xxx
A

Unknown said...

hi - BabyFire here, from 24. my heart skips beats when I think of what your friend is going through.

my name is Jude. in a strange coincidence. Judith.

I received a notification of a message from you on 24, but can't access it. perhaps because you have disabled your blog there.

anyway. again, deepest sadness - all the strength in the world to you and your friend.