Sunday, March 14, 2010

Faux Pas Poephol...

An unusually early morning for me - but at least the dark English nights are getting shorter and shorter! YEEHAAA!! (I can tell you what - there is NOTHING more disturbing to the African soul than this perpetual darkness that is the deep bleakness of the English winter. When I was teaching at a little school in Kettering in the very pregnant months before Layla was born, driving to school in the pitch blackness and coming home in it too, was incredibly disheartening... ).................................................. inbetween that first paragraph and now, SAfm called me for my interview and EISH!!!! I'm not too sure how I feel about the whole thing, but I wish I could have been a bit more prepared. As my dad warned, they tried to catch me out with a HIGHLY political question about Malema and this R250 million thingymajig in the news this morning... And I made a disastrous faux pas - and there's absolutely NO WAY on this sweet earth that I can go back in time to change it :( I mentioned how a child psychologist and blankets could be sent to the family of the young girl murdered in Pretoria a few days ago... but I was actually thinking about my original blog post the whole interview was based on in which I wrote about how, if you read in the news about a little baby having been raped in Khayelitsha, you should be spurred into action - e.g. to phone the paper and see how you could help: send blankets, food or maybe, if you're a child psychologist offer to do some pro bono work with the child and her family. Bugger. Bugger. Bugger. My heart's prayer is that I haven't upset that girl's family with my foot-in-mouth disease...)

No comments: