Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Hero or Sponge?

Analytically browsing today's news to see how much good news there was in comparison to bad, I happened upon this article: Baby saved from rubbish dump. Sadly ... no! Hang on! I am ashamed to admit that I succumbed to exactly what I'm trying to fight: all these negative stereotypes about South Africa, staged as 'facts' by the media. Right up until the 'n' of South African I typed before I thought, "No ways, this HAS to be a universal problem. We're not the only country that struggles with poverty... or postnatal depression..." But before I jump up onto my beloved soapbox, let me just say that I am impressed with News24 and Die Burger journalist, Kobus Pretorius, who managed to make this story more than just a wallow-in-more-apathy story by proactively introducing us to solutions to the problem and the heroes providing these solutions. (Check out - and support! - Molo Songololo in any way you can. "Molo Songololo" is Xhosa for 'Hello Millipede'!)

Isn't it strange how, when I initially read the news story, my first reaction was one of, "It's such a South African problem." This knee-jerk reaction is what the scaremongers and our mainstream media rely on - and in some ways, it feels to me like we're being controlled like puppets by our media. Think of all the times the news hypes something up, like petrol increases, swine flu, the recession, only for it to pass by with very little of the impact they forecast. I like to call this 'awfulising'; that is, when something gets spoken about from a completely blinkered and biased perspective. You will even notice this in your everyday interactions with colleagues, family and friends (and, let's hope not, maybe in yourself!) Awfulising functions like the most vicious circle, devouring any joy and hope in its path. Awfulising is a a sickness that starts with one and corrupts us all. A pandemic. The sad paradox is that the very opposite is true of truth and peace and loving joy: it is almost a Sisyphysian struggle to reverse the damage wrought by being relentlessly negative - but thankfully, it is not impossible. I think victory begins with us as individuals. We can choose what we allow into our lives (i.e. choose the newspapers you read etc.) and we can choose how we convey ourselves through life. Do we allow the negativity in the news to paralyse us into passive, unthinking sponges? Or do we confront the news with our emotions and minds fully engaged, ready to do whatever it takes to make a difference? Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating saving the world. It's about being a proactive human being in your own world. For example, take the story of the little 8-month old abandoned princess. Read the story, and minutely examine your gut reaction and your thoughts. Instead of allowing your mind to be controlled by stereotypes, decide to examine the situation more deeply. Hunt down the real facts behind the story. Brainstorm ways in which you could personally effect change. Even if all you do is change your own mindset from an awfulising one, this will make a magnificent difference! It affects how often you smile, how deeply you feel, how you talk about things. This is as contagious as the sunniest smile!
Reading about Molo Songololo, I wracked my brains for ideas on how I, personally, could help them help our children. Because I don't have oodles of cash, at the moment all I can do is send a small amount in donation. But what I do have plenty of is contacts and access to the internet. Solution? 1. Email the charity to find out how I could specifically help them, also asking interview-like questions. 2. Write a story about them, with their contact details, for publication. 3. Generate dialogue about them with my friends and contacts to raise the charity's social profile (and hopefully their budget too!) and increase awareness of the issues surrounding abandoned babies. I could also suggest blankets, clothes and food be donated to Molo Songololo (and yes, I am STILL crimson from that ridiculous faux pas on live bloody radio! lol)

PLEASE leave your ideas about how you initially react to 'bad' news (if you're brave enough to be that honest!) and if you would like to join me in my quest to revolutionise the South African media one editor at a time ;)

PS. SAfm want to feature me again - this time for a ten minute slot on their Sunday evening show (faux pas and all!) And this weekend, I'm going to be interviewed as part of a documentary about returning South Africans! The media are taking notice! So leave your name as part of your personal commitment to this revolutionary adventure!

PPS. After reading page after page in the world's news about abandoned babies in Chine, Argentina, England, America, Germany and Kenya (to name a few), my heart bloated helplessly with anguish... I couldn't bring myself to look at another article about just how many babies are left for dead - and that's why, instead of writing about it as a world-wide disease, I told you about Molo Songololo and how to become a hero yourself!

9 comments:

Mike said...

I like what you're saying and on my own (expat) blog, I try to highlight the positives about SA as well. I really hope that there are more expat Saffas out there who do the same. We should really celebrate them and highlight all these collective efforts online and like you, on live radio back home.

MyPE said...

Remember that the 'media' have to try and present facts as balanced as possible without actually getting involved.

Picture the roles of Policeman and Judge - part of the same system and each with a specific skill set.

As a public and media we need to recognise the strengths in each other and feed off of those strengths ONLY.

In this day of internet delivery that is narrowly focused by keyword, it is far too easy to focus on the negative aspect of a report without looking at it as a whole or even looking at the ENTIRE newspaper or delivering medium as a whole.

Couple that with the fact that few loathe prejudice, hate speech or even misery when they agree with the cause of those perpetrating it and we have a wonderful stew waiting to be kicked over into further mayhem.

Those that seek to control the populace know this and feed off of it.

What doe this have to do with babies? Nothing and everything.

In the Burger article the question is asked why a mother would "throw away" her child.

And the supposition is made that it could be due to personal, financial or emotional problems. If the societal problems are such that a mother is driven to "throw away" her child then society has a serious problem - imagine how cheap a vote will be then!

The Rooster said...

This article is an eye-orgasm. Well done missy.

Mike. Dear Mike. The biggest threat to South Africa not overcoming it's issues is the type of ex South African who presumes they're just "concerned ex citizens" and perpetuates hapless stereotypes about the country and Africa in general. Most were brainwahsed in the old army about "Die swaart gevaar" and other such bollocks. Anecdotal evidence never supports their scaremongering and alarmism. South Africans of the middle class live a succulent and decadent lifestyle few in the world can enjoy. It's a wonderful place to live ! I constantly meet british tourists specifically and every single one would love to live here if they could. Most return often to holiday. 20 000 brits a year apply to move here. We're voted the 6th best expat place to live in the world. All of this hints at very politic motive for a lot of the "S.A is a hell hole sentiment".

Anyway, point is anyone who thinks they help this country by scaring away tourist and investors is a fucking idiot.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your work Lisa, I was feeling a bit down today.

UJ said...

Awesome Lisa,

Was great to meet you the other day .. I think this is exactly the attitude more South Africans (temporarily out of the country) need to adopt. (I say temporarily, because 99% of them would love to come back home)

Lisa said...

Thanks, UJ :) All you stories and ideas you shared with me on the train only served to inspire me more about how special and... NORMAL South Africa is! I'd like to do an email interview with you sometime -- no, actually: would you like to do a guest post here about how 'dangerous' Jozi really is? lol! Seriously - let me know! x

Trevor said...

Hi Lisa

Found an article of yours on sagoodnews.co.za

We are doing some innovative work in Soweto and looking to re-direct international social entrepreneurial efforts into stimulating long-term sustainable projects in Soweto.

Perhaps you can become or recommend/promote for a Soweto Ambassador - see www.sowetoambassador.co.za

I can be contacted direct on growth@global.co.za - regards, Trevor Nel

kimmy said...

hi there, thank you for the wonderful comment on my post....coming from you i am quite chuffed!

my first reaction on these very regular, terrible happenings in our country is..."not again!" and inevitably i start pointing fingers at our government....lately i am starting to realise that we need to change our thinking, we need to stick together, if we want a strong healthy nation!

as for the media, they most definately hype things up, but i think that if they dont, we may become complacent...these things are happening and more and more people need to be shocked into taking a stand!

Craig Schorn said...

Hi!
Thanks for your message. I kinda got preoccupied with stuff and bailed out... Been going back & forth between London & here. What's this interview thing you're doing, it sounds cool?