Sunday, November 30, 2008

Gestational-Occupational Hazards

More than two weeks have passed since I was last able to indulge my fetish for opinionising and storytelling - and oh, what a MINDBLOWING two weeks it has been... If I hadn't been broken by the exhaustion that comes with working full-time when 6 months pregnant, there would have been reams and reams of stories for you to read, but instead, I've been coming home from work with only one thing on my mind: sleep.
Getting up every hour or so to pee (the good Lord's way of preparing you for the ultimate post-birth shock of deliriously sleepless nights)is already not a very good way to ensure optimum rest for a long day at work. In the later hours of the morning - the icy, black night air clamped around me in our draughty little loo, I somehow manage to feel grateful delight that my baby girl is alive and well in my belly (then my selfish need to be warm again overtakes this motherly altruism, and I remember to turn the heating on again so we don't have shiver and shudder getting dressed in the 6am cold.) Between our quick showering, getting dressed and leaving the house at 7.30am, Max is given the quickest of runarounds and a top-up of bunny muesli, Craig glugs back a strong cup of coffee while he catches up with the latest news on the Guns 'n Roses site and I spoon ungraceful mouthfuls of muesli into my mouth while trying to apply eyeliner, mascara and blusher in double-time.
It's a wonderful thing for one scatterbrain to live with another sufferer of this disease: I don't have to feel too guilty if I forget my cellphone -- and I don't mind too much when the reverse happens and Craig forgets something of his. Between us, though, we are never ever late: a point of great pride for both of us! The drive between Spratton (where Craig's school is) and all the way back past our village to Kettering takes about 45 minutes - but it's a picturesque and peaceful drive along winding country roads with sprawling views of the farms and villages - where every day is different to the one before: sometimes veiled in a luxuriously thick mist, sometimes everything is asparkle with dew and immaculate sunshine...

I so badly wanted to write about all the things that've happened in the last two weeks, but now, unavoidably, the groceries need doing. And so, I must say goodbye - but with a promise to write a little every day instead of never writing because I'm waiting for a fat chunk of time to suddenly pop along out of the blue!

Until tomorrow, adios.

1 comment:

COLLECT said...

Hello Lili! So nice to hear a bit of your news! Sounds like the teaching is keeping you well occupied! You'll be pleased to know I have started a blog for Collect, but sadly, will only get it going later in December - need to get the hang of it like you do!
Luvvies to u 3! x x x