Friday, October 17, 2008

Ad nauseum

Two newspapers. A local South African one, and BBC News. Hunting for something juicily South African to write about, there really was so little to choose from: 'Luke the Puke' Watson being sent anti-nausea medication to cure his need to 'vomit all over the Springbok jersey' (I wonder how many eyebrows this raised?); a debate over whether or not to capture wild dolphins from Algoa Bay for the aquarium in P.E ; Zuma's court case --- I don't know which of the three is the most reminiscent of a circus? Certainly the dolphins must be the most evolved of the mammals mentioned!

I recently approached The South African regarding the possibility of writing a weekly column for them - but when asked what I'd be interested in writing about, there was one hot potato I wasn't prepared to pick up: and that's politics. Scanning the BBC headlines and our SA ones made my stomach churn with confusion, frustration and fear. It doesn't seem as if politicians anywhere can be trusted! (Pardon me? You've heard this before? A zillion times?)

Can anyone explain to me just how someone can be accused of 16 years' worth of fraud and corruption, and then abracadabra suddenly be set free of each and every allegation? Could so many allegations merely have been someone's deluded and fickle imagination?

I doubt it.

But who am I to comment? I worry about getting into some sort of trouble...

And so, from now on, I'll probably be steering clear of politics as something worth writing about. Let's stick to the things of this world that actually make sense. Like ol' Pukey Lukey and his incurable nausea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm,brilliant,what will you write about next!? Cant wait!!